If you’re one of many Americans who are still working from home, you’ve probably figured out the importance of having an adequate workspace to help you stay productive. Maybe using your laptop on the sofa or setting up at the kitchen bar worked for a while. After all, it’s temporary, right? However, since the pandemic continues with no end in sight, it might be time to think about how you can spruce up your workspace to make it more useful and comfortable.
If you are looking for simple improvements that you can make quickly, here are some ideas to get you started.
Assess the Configuration
A good place to begin is with the configuration and layout of your space.
- Make sure your workspace offers separation from your primary living areas; if necessary, move to a spare bedroom, garage, or other space that has a door.
- Consider natural light; set up your desk near windows so that you can work with sunlight coming through.
- If you plan on having clients or other visitors on a regular basis, consider making room for a snack/coffee station, waiting area, and so on.
Upgrade the Furnishings
Having the furnishings in place also makes a big difference in making your space serve your needs.
- Find a high-quality desk that will fit everything you need while leaving you plenty of room to spread out.
- Get an ergonomically designed office chair that will keep you comfortable through an entire workday.
- Look for decorative storage solutions, and make the most of your vertical space.
- For the darker hours of the day and night, make sure you have overhead lighting and lamps that reduce eye strain and help you stay focused.
Acquire the Right Tools
No matter what kind of work you are doing from home, you need the right tools to do it efficiently.
- Invest in high-quality office equipment, such as a laptop/desktop computer, printer, fax machine, and so on.
- Research the various communication and collaboration tools that can help you stay connected as a remote worker.
- Get any productivity apps that you think will help you stay on track and accomplish your day-to-day goals.
- Make use of tools and services to help you register your business. Formation services can make this part of setting up your business quick and simple.
Having a workspace that fosters productivity is essential for sustained success when you’re working from home. Reevaluate the configuration of your workspace, add any furnishings necessary, and make sure you have all the right equipment and tools to succeed.
Thank you, Elijah Dawson, for writing this guest post for Crispy Confessions. Please check out Elijah’s website and blog at lookforjobshere.com for tips on everything job related!